Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Devereaux House and Benson Grist Mill



This is a drawing of the Devereaux House on South Temple in SLC.  The original drawing is on an 11"x17" piece of bristol board.  I used a wide range of graphite pencils (3H-8B).  This drawing actually took quite a while to finish (I still consider it unfinished).  I think I spent somewhere between 15 to 20 hours on this one.  If you look closely you can see that I am not drawing the actual building, but rather just the shadows.  This project was a study of light and value.  Its interesting how shade and shadow actually define shapes and textures.




This is a drawing of the Benson Grist Mill out in Stansbury Park, which is just north of Tooele.  During my undergraduate years we lived less then a 1/4 mile from this historic mill.  This drawing is on an 11"x14" piece of bristol board.  I used Micron pens ranging from .005mm - .05mm.  Unlike the Devereaux House drawing, this one took less than two hours to complete.  This one was quite fun because I used a scribbling motion to create the texture of wood on the mill itself and the barn in the foreground.  If you enjoy historic pioneer places this Grist Mill is definitely worth visiting.  During the spring and summer they put on plays out at the mill so you can take your whole family.  I also did a photographic narrative of this mill for one of my graduate classes last year.  I will post some of those photos in a gallery or something once I get it to work the way I want.


Anyway, I hope you enjoyed these drawings.  Let me know what you guys think. 

2 comments:

Karen Decker said...

I L-O-V-E the shadow drawing technique! You have such an amazing talent.

Diane said...

What TALENT! Both pictures are beautiful.