Sunday, January 6, 2013

La Scuola di Montessori


During my final year of undergrad (spring of 2009 if you are wondering) I was given the assignment of designing a school based off of the Montessori Method. For those of you that aren't familiar with this method, I will summarized it very briefly: Its a teaching method developed by an Italian educator named Maria Montessori. Some of the main principles are; that children learn at their own pace and have the capacity to direct their own learning, that children do not learn at the same pace as adults and that they do not use the same teaching methods. A Montessori school is very much a hands-on learning environment allowing children to interact as much as possible and, where appropriate, with all five senses in learning. You can find some more information about Maria Montessori and the Montessori Methods in the first several pages of the embedded project booklet in this post.

This booklet was handed in at the end of the project as part of a project record. I believe there are still several type-o's in the booklet - as with most of my projects, I stayed up the night before it was due to complete it; I do not recommend this particular type of work flow :)

1 comment:

Karen Decker said...

My favorite are the photos on page 19. You are so artistic!